Due to low lake water levels, the east boat ramp is closed to boat all trailers. The west side boat ramp is open for small boat trailers only .
If an Arizona high country getaway is what you need, you can find it right here at Fool Hollow Lake Recreation Area! Smell the fresh pine scent, watch big fluffy clouds roll through the sky, and feel the cool breeze coming off the gorgeous 150 acre northern Arizona lake. Relax in the spacious campground and have quick access to great fishing and wildlife watching opportunities, or rent a kayak and explore the park from the lake itself. Fool Hollow is truly an outdoor lover's dream, and we would love to have you stop by and experience this wonderful place that has become so special to so many people.
Visitor Center/Park Store
Open year-round. The visitor center is located at the park entrance. A variety of souvenirs and park memorabilia are available here as well as a small selection of hats and shirts. Stop by and pick up something to remind you of your special time at the park!
Open May-August. Lakeside, JT Wildlife Outdoors has a variety of outdoor recreation supplies available for sale and rent. Limited fishing supplies, boats, canoes, kayaks, and mountain bikes can all be rented to accentuate your park experience. Snacks, ice, firewood and limited fishing gear is available for sale as well.
Campground and RV Sites
This high country playground has over 120 spacious campsites available for visitors throughout the year. Over 90 of these sites have hook-ups and can accommodate rigs up to 40 feet. 31 campsites have been reserved for those of you that like a more "primitive" experience and some of these tent sites have a fantastic view of the lake and quick access to fishing and water sport recreation. All campsites have a picnic table, fire ring, and close access to clean restrooms and showers. Weekends at the Fool Hollow Lake campground get booked quickly during the summer with people escaping the heat and heading to the high country. Try taking a trip during the week to have a more personal experience with this beautiful area, and to ensure you get that perfect spot!
Amphitheater & Interpretive Area
The Amphitheater and Interpretive Area is located on the east side of the recreation area between the tent area and RV area. Weather permitting, join us for an interpretive program. Ask in the Ranger Station about current programs; topics include Smokey Bear, elk, wildfire, birds, or special programs.
There are five great spots for your gathering or a picnic, and they are available on both sides of the lake! You can choose the perfect location for that birthday or work party for up to 150 people in the cool, open air of this beautiful Northern Arizona venue.
Single lane boat launch ramps are available on the east and west sides of the lake. Maximum of 10 H.P. gasoline engines are allowed.
After entering the park, visitors can reach the west boat launch ramp by turning west at the first intersection and following the road to the boat parking area, just next to the launch ramp.
Visitors can reach the east boat launch ramp by turning east at the first intersection and following the road all the way around to the other side of the lake until arriving at the next intersection. Turn west and follow the signs until arriving at the east boat launch ramp.
Fool Hollow has clean, modern, accessible restrooms conveniently placed for maximum ease of use. Accessible, hot showers are available at all camping loops at no extra charge for registered campers.
A dump station is available for registered campers from May 1st through October 15th.
Activities and Experiences
A variety of sport-fish are available to anglers in Fool Hollow Lake. Largemouth and smallmouth bass, walleye, trout, northern pike, and assorted panfish populations are found throughout the lake. Most fish populations naturally reproduce within the cool waters of Fool Hollow Lake, although rainbow trout do not, and are supplemented seasonally by Arizona Game and Fish Department stockings.
Wildlife viewing opportunities abound at Fool Hollow Lake Recreation Area! Aberts Squirrels, Rock Squirrel, Gophers, Skunks, Raccoons, Beavers and Muskrats are among the small mammals park visitors may see during their trip. Elk, mule deer, bobcats, and coyotes are not uncommon in the park and give visitors a chance of an unforgettable wildlife encounter. Popular area bird species include Stellar’s Jay, Lesser Goldfinch, numerous species of Bluebirds, Acorn Woodpeckers, Nuthatches and Red-shafted Flicker. Bring your binoculars and a sense of adventure to find the above park residents and elevate your outdoor experience!
Boat, Canoe, and Kayak Rentals (Summer Only)
Get a whole new view of Fool Hollow Lake by renting boat, canoe or kayak! Boat rentals help anglers get to places that don't receive as much pressure which might help them catch more fish! Paddle board rentals are also available and offer an unique perspective on this gorgeous area! Send an email or call (928) 892-9170 for more information about boat and personal watercraft rentals at Fool Hollow Lake!
Recreation Area Rules
If you have a camping reservation you must make every effort to be in the park by 10 p.m. If there is a problem/emergency and you will not be able to make it by 10 p.m., please call (928) 537-3680 before 4:30 p.m. to make arrangements. We will do our best to assist you.
Check in: 2 p.m. (Note: Gates close at 10 p.m. and re-open at 5 a.m.)
Check out: noon (Strictly enforced)
- All vehicles arriving for a reservation must have in their possession a confirmation notice with name and campsite.
- Identification will be required at check-in regarding reservations.
- If you make the reservations for multiple sites/people, you must ensure that each party receives a confirmation slip.
All rules and regulations are strictly enforced. If you are not sure, please ask a ranger. The area contains natural hazards. Please enjoy the recreation area with caution. Especially observe your children!
- At the discretion of the recreation area manager, campsites are limited to a maximum of two vehicles.
- Motorized vehicles in tow may count as the second vehicle.
- You must park in your assigned campsite.
- All extra vehicles must park in the overflow parking; this is a fire lane/emergency vehicle standard.
- All vehicles and trailers must remain on the paved portion of the campsite.
- Occupancy: two vehicles – six adults (14 years and older) with a maximum of 12 persons total.
- When feasible, a third vehicle may join a group for an additional fee of $15.00 per night. The third vehicle may have to be parked in an overflow parking lot. Occupancy levels cannot be exceeded.
- Additional persons, beyond 12 total, in increments of one to 12, must pay for and occupy another campsite.
- Quiet hours are from 8 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Day Use hours are 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- All Day Use visitors must depart the campground by 10 p.m.
- At all times noise levels (including music) must not be heard in neighboring campsites.
- No generators are allowed to be operated at Fool Hollow Lake Recreation Area at any time.
- All vehicles are restricted to paved roads and must be “street legal” (registered and insured) to operate within the recreation area. (This includes ATVs, RTVs, side by sides, motorcycles, scooters, etc.) These vehicles may be charged if operated within the recreation area.
- Damaging, defacing or removing natural features, rocks, vegetation, artifacts or public property is against the law.
- No gathering of or chopping trees for firewood. This includes dead, downed trees and snags.
Campfires are restricted to fire rings, must be kept small, attended at all times and doused thoroughly when done.
- “Red Flag” (fire restrictions) may preclude wood and charcoal fires. Observe posted signs and/or check with rangers.
- Pets must be leashed and cleaned up after.
- Pets must not disturb other campers.
- Water for pets must be available.
- Sites must be kept clean and litter free at all times.
- Trash must be deposited in dumpsters provided at each camping loop.
- No glass beverage containers are allowed in the recreation area.