River Island Market is open and the deli is open.
Dump station and potable water filling is for use by registered campers only (No OHV use of dump station or filling fresh water tanks).
Facilities Available at River Island State Park
Visitor Center/Park Store
Please visit the Buckskin Mountain State Park visitor center only one mile north of River Island. The River Island Ranger Station is essentially a pay station and headquarters for the Rangers working at the park.
Tent and RV Campground
River Island offers 37 total campsites. Eight beachfront campsites on the grass overlooking Colorado River with 20-amp service and water. These sites are great for tent camping and small campers up to 24 feet. The other 29 sites are ideal for RV camping (up to 65 feet deep) but also accomodate tent campers. These sites are complete with 50, 30, and 20-amp service, and all with water. Ten are back-in sites and 19 are pull-throughs.
From April 1 through Sept. 30, there is a two-night minimum stay. For example, on a weekend camping trip you are required to book both Friday & Saturday nights. For Memorial and Labor Day holiday weekends, there is a three-night minimum stay. For example, on a holiday weekend camping trip, you are required to book Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights.
Group: Camping Sites
Group Site reservations CANCELLED until after May 8th. Any reservations occurring after May 8 will only be made on a tentative basis. Thank you!
Group reservations can be made up to one year in advance. To make group reservations call the park directly.
Dump station located at SW side of the park across from Ranger Station. No charge to registered campers. Fee required to unregistered vehicles.
The park has two accessible restroom/shower buildings located at the NE and SW sides of the park.
One 20’ X 20’ ramada with lights, 20-amp outlet, and water.
Group: Day Use Areas
20’ X 20’ shade ramada. Minimum 12 people, maximum 65 people. Fifteen car and three boat-length parking spaces. One 20-amp outlet, lights, water, fire ring. Located across from Ranger Station at SW side of the park. Reservations available. Handicap accessible.
Activities and Experiences
This park is conviently situated right on the banks of the Colorado River and offers a ton of water recreation opportunities. There is a three-lane launch ramp for your convienience. Kayak the cove or out into the slow current of the lazy river. Fish for largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, catfish, and a variety of panfish. Boat around and take in the sights of Colorado river country. Or, just relax and swim in the cool river water. With so many options here for water recreation enthusiasts, there really is something for everyone to enjoy at this oasis along Arizona's west coast.
One trail is located right in the park and takes hikers up Wedge Hill for commanding views of Colorado River country. The trail network of nearby Buckskin Mountain State Park is easily accessed via the connecting trails at River Island. This greatly expands hiking opportunities for visitors looking for a little trail therapy.
- Fees are due upon park entry. If the office is closed, please use the self-pay station.
- All campers must park on pavement at campsites.
- Day Use parking until 10 p.m. only.
- No driving or parking on grass or dirt.
- Do not wash vehicles, boats or RVs.
- Camp only in designated campsites.
- Stay limit is 14 nights. May be extended with the approval of Park Manager.
- All pets must be leashed and attended to at all times. Leashes not to exceed six feet in length.
- Pets allowed on the beach east of boat ramp.
- Quiet hours are from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. Please prevent loud nuisance noises at
- All fires must be contained in grills or portable fireplaces. Please, no ground fires.
- Swimming is allowed along the shoreline. No swimming at the boat ramp. Swimming is at your on risk. No Lifeguard on duty.
- Obey all boating regulations.
- Obey all hunting and fishing laws.
- Littering is unlawful.