Swimming on the Colorado River
River Island State Park is a popular swimming spot to escape the summer heat. The beach spans the riverfront of the park, which is tucked away in a cove and protected from the river's current. It is also a good place to beach a boat and relax for awhile as the river floats by.
• Comfortable footwear is recommended to wear during your swimming experience because some rocky areas are located within the designated swimming area.
• If sun bathing on shore, we recommend a light mat to place under your towel for added comfort.
• Do not swim near boat ramps or docks.
• The river's temperature can vary from temperate in the shallows to near-freezing in open water. if you're concerned about temperature drops in the water, be sure and bring an insulated swimming outfit, like a thermal swimming suit.
• In all situations, swimmers should exercise caution. There is no lifeguard on duty, so swimming is at your own risk.