Off the Beaten Path Labor Day Weekend Adventures at Arizona State Parks
August 31, 2016
PHOENIX - The Colorado River, Arizona's many lakes and Sedona are go-tos for Labor Day Weekend fun, but away from the well-known destinations are hidden gems along the roads less traveled. Checkout our picks for weekend fun while exploring new paths right here in Arizona.
- Evening Concert at Catalina State Park (Oro Valley) - Enjoy an evening concert with the beautiful backdrop of Catalina State Park. Saguaro Sunset Trio will be performing at the First Saturday Concert at 6 p.m. on September 3. The Trio combines harmonizing vocals, instrumentation and rhythm for an entertaining set of easy listening bluegrass, country and folk music.
- Petroglyph Hike Lyman Lake State Park (St. Johns) - Bring your kayak and take a short trip to the Ultimate Petroglyph Trail. The trial ends at Ultimate Rock, a large petroglyph-covered boulder. Petroglyphs are designs carved into a rock and are sacred to Native Americans who consider them a record left by their ancestors.
- Swimming at Roper Lake State Park (Safford) - Cool off swimming in the beautiful lake with a sandy beach or soak in the natural outdoor rock hot tub. The lake is surrounded by desert vegetation and stunning views of Mount Graham. The calm lake is ideal for paddle-boarding, kayaking or canoeing.
- Find a PokéStop - If you're playing Pokémon Go and looking for those pesky Pokémon creatures, you can find them in most of our parks including Fort Verde, Jerome and Tonto Natural Bridge. Be sure to follow park rules including park hours and designated entry points. Visit AZStateParks.com to find a park near you.
- And there is always...Camping and Cave Tour at Kartchner Caverns State Park (Benson) - Kartchner Caverns State Park is a colorful "live" cave with stunning wet limestone features that continue to grow in the darkness. Arrive early for your scheduled tour to enjoy a visitor center with interpretive exhibits, gift shop, café and hiking trails. Bring your RV and spend the night under the stars in one of our campsites adjacent to the Whetstone Mountains.
For information about Arizona State Parks and the many recreational, historical and cultural programs call 1-877-MY-PARKS or visit AZStateParks.com.