Wrap-Up Photo Gallery
Night Under The Stars: November 22, 2008
This second annual event included lots of great information including booths by NASA Educator’s Resource Center and Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, and Stargazing for Everyone, LLC. Arizona State Parks provided an array of educational activities and information including "make your own sundial," and a fun constellation drawing activity. The evening Star Party was a big success with nearly 250 people stopping by to gaze through the many large telescopes brought by astronomy groups. Visitors got to see Jupiter and three of its moon, the Pleiades, and many other great astronomical features. Visitors also got a chance to experience a unique solar system simulation in Voyager, a mobile trailer.
Since the evening event was a red-light only zone, we didn't take any pictures at night since the flash would affect people's night vision. A big thanks to all the astronomy groups and volunteers that came out to participate and make this event so memorable! Some of the highlights from the event included:
- The Star Fair & Educator’s Workshop included astronomy presentations, educational booths and activities for families and educators.
- A Solar Viewing Demonstrations with Tony LaConte.
- Telescope Star Gazing during the Star Party
- Tour of the Night Sky Workshop Presentation with Tony LaConte.
- Astronomy Workshop Presentation with Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University’s Dr. Quentin G. Bailey, Assistant Professor of Physics and students from Sigma Pi Sigma- Physics Honor Society gave an astronomy presentation on binary stars and current research at ERAU.
- Your Newspaper: Portals to the Universe Workshop Presentation with Tony LaConte from Stargazing for Everyone, LLC.
- Amateur Astrophotography Workshop with JD Maddy, from Astronomers of Verde Valley.
- Voyager Space Simulator by Rick Gutheriage.
- Richard Bohner from Lowell Observatory presented "A Living History of Lowell Observatory."
Mark your calendars now! The 2009 event will take place November 14, 2009.
- Alamo Lake
- Buckskin Mountain
- Cattail Cove
- Lake Havasu
- River Island
- Yuma Quartermaster Depot
- Yuma Territorial Prison
- Dead Horse Ranch
- Fort Verde
- Red Rock
- Riordan Mansion
- Slide Rock
- Verde River Greenway
- Boyce Thompson Arboretum
- Fool Hollow Lake
- Lost Dutchman
- Lyman Lake
- Tonto Natural Bridge